The Journey of Fair Housing
The neighborhood we live in has a fundamental impact on the doors to economic opportunity, the quality of education our children receive, and even access to greater healthcare options and better health outcomes. Too often, the barrier to living where we want is housing discrimination. Housing discrimination is an evil that hurts both its victims and society as a whole. It goes against our vision of a free society and its elimination is a New York State and national priority. Every New Yorker deserves an equal chance to fully participate in the State's economic, cultural and intellectual life. The New York State Human Rights Law exists to open doors and break down barriers caused by unlawful discrimination. The New York State Division of Human Rights and the United Stated Department of Housing and Urban Development have partnered to launch a public information campaign to educate New Yorkers about their rights to fair housing entitled “The Journey of Fair Housing.” The campaign includes social media advertising, informational materials and videos, and educational events.
Fair housing laws allow everyone to have freedom of choice – and be free from discrimination - in deciding where to live. Housing discrimination seriously injures victims, causing them emotional and financial harm. There are strong national, state and local laws against housing discrimination. They provide many places to file complaints. The laws also afford many different forms of remedy to victims and to society, including monetary damages and fines. The laws give a court or administrative body the power to order violators to stop discriminating and to make up for past wrongdoing. Watch our video below to learn more about what fair housing means in New York State.
- Download DHR'snew publication on the responsibilities and liabilities of real estate brokers and salespersons under the NYS Human Rights Law.
- DHR has published a guide to fair housing under the Human Rights Law.Printable version
- DHR has issued guidance on source of income discrimination.
- Watch DHR's source of income discrimination event.
- Download DHR's guide to source of income discrimination.Printable version
- Download DHR's guide to reasonable accommodation and disability rights.Printable version
- Download DHR's publication on sexual harassment in housing.
- Visit the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development's Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity.
- Visit the NYS Homes and Community Renewal's Fair & Equitable Housing Office.
- Learn about thethe NYS Department of State's real estate regulations combating housing discrimination.
- The NYS Department of State has publishedguidance for real estate license holders on fair housing.
- Real estate licensees must posta Fair Housing and Anti-Discrimination Notice.
- Further information on the NYS Department of State's fair housing initiatives is available here.
- Our 2020 campaignis available here.